Circadian Coffee co-founder Kelsey Speigner has a boozy take on the unofficial coffee drink of the year.
Thanks to COVID-19 lockdowns, 2020 has seen more than its fair share of DIY food thrills on social media. Sourdough was the flashy starlet that captured all the attention of the paparazzi early on, until we learned that acquiring, nurturing, and keeping a sourdough alive was best left to professional bakers and MIT graduates. Luckily, in dalgona waltzed whipped coffee, a frothy beauty with just a few ingredients. And are you ready for the best news? It’s almost impossible to screw up. Kelsey Speigner, co-founder of local roaster Circadian Coffee, offers this boozy take on the unofficial coffee drink of the year.
- 2 tablespoons of instant coffee or espresso
- 2 tablespoons of hot water
- 2 tablespoons of white sugar (or granulated sweetener of your choice) *
- 1 Â½ ounce of bourbon (Speigner uses the Indy favorite Tango Hotel)
- 1 ounce of cream liqueur (Speigner recommends local production Almond bite, but you can substitute Baileys Irish Cream if it is not available)
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- Â½ ounce heavy cream (or non-dairy creamer of your choice)
- Cinnamon stick
- Ground cinnamon
- Combine instant coffee or espresso, water and sugar in a bowl and mix until frothy. (Using a stand or hand mixer will give you the fluffiest, photo-ready results. If you don’t have one, Speigner suggests shaking these ingredients in a glass jar or use a frother.) Set aside.
- In a shaker, combine the bourbon, cream liqueur, heavy dream and a pinch of Angostura Bitters. Add ice and shake well. Filter into a glass and add ice cubes.
- Pour whipped coffee over the cocktail mix. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon and garnish with cinnamon stick.
- For a fun variation, replace Aztec chocolate bitter for Angostura and chocolate sugar for white sugar. Sprinkle the finished drink with cocoa powder.
* Recipe Note: Feel free to play around with the sweetener, but the ratio of coffee, water, and sugar should be equal (1: 1: 1) for whipped results.